Directly employing Medipin or pertaining to the application of pinprick
The Summary Argument: Logical application of cutaneous pinprick sensibility as a screening device for diabetic peripheral neuropathy: overlooked, undervalued and critical in redefining a clinically significant threshold for protective sensation.
1. Diabetic Neuropathy: A Position Statement by the American Diabetes Association 2017; Pop-Busui et al 2017, Diabetes Care 2017;40:136–154
2. Methods of treating postherpetic neuralgia with a topical formulation of a spiro-oxindole compound Fetell; Michael; (Miami Beach, FL) ; Malamut; Richard; (Rose Valley, PA) ; Lamson; Michael J.; (Cary, NC) ; Spiegelstein; Ofer; (Ramat Hasharon, IL) ; Goldberg; Yigal Paul; (Vancouver, CA) ; Price; Nicola Anne; (Qualicum Beach, CA) (2016) United States Patent Application No. US20160228354 A1
3. Proposal for The Demonstration of an Analogue Scale to Quantify Deficit and Refine The Identification of a Protective Sensory Threshold to Pinprick in Patients With Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy in the Rapid Primary Care Setting. Jacobs BL 2016 Research Proposal DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.13225.19049
4. Project: The viability of home testing for earlier detection of loss of protective sensation in patients with diabetes and are we wedded to the 10g monofilament to do it? Jacobs BL 2016. Pub. Research Gate; https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308549590_ Working Paper DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.16580.63368
5. Compositions And Methods For Pain Relief Without Numbness, United States Patent Application No.20150342986, Abrahmsohn, G, 2015.
6. The Relationship Between Diaphragmatic Breathing And Lumbopelvic Control In Physically Active Patients With And Without Chronic Low Back Pain. Blaire A. Wyatt, B.S. (2015) A Thesis Submitted To The Graduate Council Of Texas State University In Partial Fulfillment Of The Requirements For The Degree Of Master Of Science With A Major In Athletic Training.
7. Illusory Touch Temporarily Improves Sensation in Areas of Chronic Numbness: A Brief Communication. Wand B et al (2014) Neurorehabil Neural Repair published online 24 February 2014
8. Causes, Management and Understanding: History And Physical Examination. Squire P and Pereira J. (2013) Neuropathic Pain, ed. Cory Toth and Dwight E. Moulin. Published by Cambridge University Press. Cambridge University Press 2013. Ch1 pp 99-13.
9. Comparison Of Two Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy Measurement Approaches In Children. Gilchrist L et al. (2013) Support Care Cancer . Published online DOI 10.1007/s00520-013-1981-6
10. The Pediatric-Modified Total Neuropathy Score: A Reliable And Valid Measure Of Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy In Children With Non-CNS Cancers. Gilchrist L & Tanner L. (2013) Supportive Care in Cancer Volume 21, Issue 3, pp 847-856.
11. Mislocalization of Sensory Information in People With Chronic Low Back Pain: A Preliminary Investigation. Wand B et al. (2013) Clinical Journal of Pain: Volume 29 - Issue 8 - p 737–743
12. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes, American Diabetes Association, (2013) Diabetes Care, Volume 36, Supplement 1, January 2013
13. Combined Spinal Epidural Vs Epidural Labour Analgesia: Does Initial Intrathecal Analgesia Reduce the Subsequent Minimum Local Analgesic Concentration Of Epidural Bupivacaine? Patel S et al. (2012). Anaesthesia, Volume 67, Issue 6, pp 584–593
14. Use Of A Temporary Forearm Tourniquet For Intravenous Regional Anaesthesia: A Randomised Controlled Trial. Fletcher S et al. (2011) European Journal of Anaesthesiology Volume 28 - Issue 2 - p 133–136
15. A Double Blind Comparison Of The Variability Of Block Levels Assessed Using A Hand Help Neurotip Or A Neuropen At Elective Caesarean Section Under Spinal Anaesthesia. Shirgaonkar A, Purva M, Russell, I. (2010) International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia 19, pp 61–66
16. Quantitative Sensory Testing and Mapping: A Review of Non-automated Quantitative Methods for Examination of the Patient With Neuropathic Pain. Walk D et al. (2009) Clinical Journal of Pain: Volume 25 - Issue 7 - pp 632-640
17. Measuring Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy in Children: Development of the Ped-mTNS and Pilot Study Results, Gilchrist L et al. (2009) Rehabilitation Oncology 7-15.
18. Comprehensive Foot Examination and Risk Assessment: A report of the Task Force of the Foot Care Interest Group of the American Diabetes Association, with endorsement by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, Boulton et al, (2008) Diabetes Care, Volume 31, Number 8, August 2008
19. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy: how reliable is a homemade 1-g monofilament for screening? Bourcier ME, Ullal J, Parson HK et al. J Fam Pract. 2006 Jun;55(6):505-8.
20. Refined diagnosis of diabetic peripheral neuropathy with enhanced pinprick perception using novel single-use precision instrument design and technique . Jacobs B, Lewis D. Presented at the Global Diabetic Foot Conference. March 23, 2006, Los Angeles, USA.
21. Cutaneous Pinprick Sensibility As A Screening Device – Part 1. Jacobs B. (2006) Diabetic Microvascular Complications Today May/June 2006 pp 31-33.
22. Cutaneous Pinprick Sensibility As A Screening Device – Part 2: Enhanced Diagnosis Of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy Using Refined Technique And Dedicated Single-Use Precision Technology. Jacobs B. (2006) Diabetic Microvascular Complications Today July/August 2006 pp 33-36.
23. Value of pinprick in finding peripheral neuropathy in diabetes mellitus patients. Jacobs B, Lewis D. Presented at the World Family Doctor Association, WONCA Europe Regional Conference. June 18-21, 2003. Ljubljana, Slovenia.
24. The North-West Diabetes Foot Care Study: Incidence Of, And Risk Factors For New Diabetic Foot Ulceration In A Community Based Patient Cohort; Abbott CA, Carrington AL, Ashe H et al; 2002, Diabet Med 19: 377–384)